NURSE MANAGER, PACU
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Healthcare - Nursing
Nurse Manager (E S 10)
The Nurse Manager has 24-hour responsibility for managing service area (s) to provide effective and efficient patient care. Effectiveness and efficiency are achieved through operationalizing the Medical Center's and Nursing's mission and objectives. To meet these responsibilities, the Manager selects and supervises staff, plans and implements programs to meet specific patient care needs, works to continually improve the quality of patient care, and, with some exceptions, plans and manages the budget. The Manager provides leadership to achieve a culture of professional excellence in the service area, in the organization as a whole, and in the nursing profession.
HUMAN RESOURCES 15%
• Responsible for interviewing, hiring, performance improvement, disciplinary process and recommending termination of staff for the unit.
• Provides for and evaluates professional growth and development of clinical staff through identification of needs, sponsoring training programs, encouraging education (formal and continuing) efforts and evaluation of same.
• Responsible for completion of regular performance evaluations for each staff member; conducts evaluations for new staff prior to completion of probationary period.
• Counsels employees, develops staff and, as appropriate, utilizes the disciplinary process.
• Plans and organizes orientation and in-service training for clinic staff; participates in guidance of staff and promotion of educational programs.
LEADERSHIP & DEVELOPMENT 20%
• Provides leadership in communicating and executing on organizational goals and objectives and being accountable to meeting these goals.
• Assumes responsibility for own personal continuing education and developmental needs; attends meetings, workshops to enrich personal knowledge, growth and management skills.
• Works with the medical staff to coordinate medical and nursing management of patient care.
• Continually works on performance improvement activities within unit. Applies process improvement standards, programs and resources.
• Serves as a resource to others (medical staff, nursing staff and other disciplines)
• Serves as role model in demonstrating flexibility and positive response under stressful situations.
• Consults other clinical departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in operations and performance improvement activities.
• Coordinates and directs the patient care program to ensure patients’ needs are met and that facility policies are followed in an environment that optimizes patient safety.
• Performance reflects age specific knowledge in all areas of patient care specific to medical specialty.
• Monitors patient flow, surgical volumes, and takes necessary action to address problems.
• Monitors utilization of equipment and supplies; oversees supply ordering program.
• Effectively maintains all required records for the unit; demonstrates good organizational skills.
• Plans and conducts staff meetings and ensures meeting notes are available.
• Assumes the role of patient advocate regarding guidelines found in the Patient Bill of Rights.
• Supervises staff to ensure quality of patient care, evidence-based practice appropriate to specialty is integrated into unit operations. Oversights nursing care in both in the unit and when RNs accompany their patients to other areas including radiology and procedural areas.
Responsible for ensuring adherence to Compliance Program policies, procedures, and standards of conduct.
• Ensures that documentation meets current standards.
• Completes required documentation including audits and surveys on time. Follows-up on problems identified through audit process.
• Ensures that the unit meets regulatory standards (ex. JCAHO, DOH), including environment of care standards and infection control.
CUSTOMER SERVICE 10%
• Models customer service standards for staff and practitioners.
• Responsible for addressing patient complaints.
• Monitors and plans customer service initiatives to better meet needs of patients.
FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE 10%
• Develops, justifies and maintains a fiscal plan (budget) for the unit. Monitors revenues, expenses and operating expenses (salaries and capital expense items) and provides appropriate reports to the Director and Medical Director as well as unit staff and providers. Takes actions to correct problematic areas.
Four to five years in a Nurse Manager position, PACU or Perioperative preferred. BSN, Masters in Nursing, Healthcare Administration or related field desired.
Loading some great jobs for you...