Senior Systems Engineer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them. Location/Division Specific Information
Biosciences Division, Sample Preparation Business Unit
Eugene, OR/ Bothel, WA/ Austin, TX How will you make an impact?
You will be instrumental in defining and developing instrument and consumable products in the Biosciences Division. In leading system definition & integration aspects of product development, you will collaborating with deeply knowledgeable, specialized engineers and scientists to develop instruments and applications for our world class Automated Sample Prep and qPCR platforms in both RUO and IVD markets. What will you do?
• Exercise judgement and experience in life sciences to understand customer needs and deliver products that highly meet those needs
• Drive complex instrument platforms to completion while meeting cost, schedule and performance requirements
• Partner with technical leads in chemistry, assay design, software design and system hardware to commercialize products
• Conduct and facilitate trades among the different technical disciplines to deliver optimized product performance
• Execute and own data analysis and troubleshooting activities during system integration and system characterization phases
• Ensure that decisions are data-driven, by designing multifactorial experiments, analyzing data, and clearly presenting results in a clear and concise manner How will you get here?
Bachelor's or graduate degree in Engineer, Bioengineering, Molecular Biology or related technical discipline; PhD is preferred but not required Experience
• 10+ years of hands-on engineering experience in developing instrumentation (subsystems, systems, testing and validation) including consumables
• 3+ years experience serving regulated markets in a commercial environment is preferred
• Successful track record in delivering RUO and IVD products with a thorough understanding of quality systems
• Prior experience in building Life Science hardware systems, including optical subsystems, mechanical subsystems, pneumatic subsystems, building test setups and troubleshooting hardware
• Owned the entire product development life cycle through customer care while meeting cost, schedule and performance requirements
• Experience or strong understanding of basic molecular biology is preferred
• Prior experience with nucleic acid sample extraction, purification, preparation and characterization from a variety of biological sources is preferred
• Familiarity with commercial laboratory equipment for diagnostics and research use including robotic liquid handling systems (e.g. Tecan/Hamilton) is highly preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Ability to grasp and translate customer workflow needs into scalable system architectures
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple programs/projects and priorities
• A team player with demonstrated ability to: inspire and influence teams while driving projects to completion; manage multiple stakeholders; effectively build and manage internal and external relationships at senior levels
• Demonstrated success working in a global matrixed environment & willingness to travel up to 25%, domestic or internationally This position has not been approved for relocation assistance.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Loading some great jobs for you...