Provide technical and clinical support to Ophthalmologists. Maintain and enhance the health and well being of the patient by facilitating patient flow, screening patients, performing measurement tasks, assisting with procedures, performing telephone triage and giving instruction to patients per department protocol's.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Prepare patient and instrumentation appropriate to exam.
* Room patient timely and accurately.
* Collect patient medical history including chief complaint.
* Take appropriate vitals and document completely and accurately.
* Update patient's chart and verify demographic information.
* Update medications, allergies, health maintenance system at time patient is roomed.
* Screen patient and perform accurate and consistent documentation and measurement tasks in relation to:
* Visual acuity, lensometry, confrontational visual fields, stereo testing, evaluation of motility, pupillary function tests, color vision, applanation and Tonopen, advanced refractometry, retinoscopy, angle assessment, dilation of pupils, contact lens evaluation, visual field testing, pachymetry, corneal topography, OCT imaging, fluorescein angiography, and Glare testing, IOL Master and B Scan.
* Prepare, set up, and assist provider with laser procedures and minor surgery.
* Provide patient home care instructions and counseling.
* Clarify pre-op and post-op instructions with patient.
* Clarify pre-laser and post-laser instructions with patient.
* Apply eye dressings, protective shields as directed.
* Maintain practice standards of sterile technique and infection control.
* Clean and sterilize surgical instruments according to guidelines and standards.
* Process pharmacy requests, patient phone calls, and provider messages appropriately.
* Maintain sanitary conditions in exam and procedure rooms.
* Assist in troubleshooting equipment malfunctions.
* Keep exam rooms clean, and stocked with appropriate instruments, handouts, other supplies.
* Answer incoming telephone calls within five rings.
* Perform initial triage of telephone calls per protocols
* Handle emergency calls calmly and promptly according to established emergency protocols.
* Take messages that are accurate, legible, and complete with names, dates, time, phone number, correctly document in EMR, and route to appropriate person.
* Monitor the providers' schedule and keep them informed of any schedule changes including cancellations, reschedules, and no-shows.
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND SKILLS
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* Completion of an accredited Ophthalmic Technician program.
* Certified Ophthalmic Tech (COT) preferred. If not certified, must be willing to acquire certification with one year of employment date.
* Prefer those with at least one year of broad-based experience as an ophthalmic assistant or technician preferred.
* WA State MA-Registered credential must be obtained within three months of hire date.
* EHR experience. Epic experience preferred.
* Excellent clinical skills.
* Strong knowledge of proper medical chart documentation and coding.
* Strong knowledge of diagnostic ophthalmic/optometric equipment.
* Exceptional interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
* Proven record of attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
* Strong computer skills (MS Office Suite) and proficient and accurate keyboarding skills.
* Current American Heart Association Health Care Provider BLS CPR certification.
We offer a competitive wage and a comprehensive benefits package which includes insurance programs covering medical, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, paid time off, education reimbursement, and a 401(k) plan. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Associated topics: cornea, eye, glaucoma, ophthalmolgist, ophthalmology, retina, uveitis