The Climate Corporation leads the industry in providing digital agriculture solutions for growers to manage their data, as well as to derive insights from their data for maximizing productivity, efficiency and sustainability. We are seeking an exceptional candidate to organize and lead our Agricultural sustainability team in our R&D organization. This role will be responsible for prioritizing and developing a research plan/program with a digital ag focus that highlights, quantifies and expands upon our sustainability mission in agriculture and global food production. The successful candidate will be responsible for aligning with broader Bayer Crop Sciences sustainability initiatives and guiding a small team of experts who can combine atmospheric, environmental and management data using novel modeling frameworks and approaches to improve our understanding of environmental, economic and social impacts of digital agriculture.
What You Will Do:
* Develop research program focused on defining and measuring impact of Climate digital ag tools on sustainability
* Establish and execute research program centered on sustainability related topics including but not limited to water, soil health, GHG emissions, chemical residues, biodiversity and small-holder interactions.
* Facilitate, direct and manage communications/relationships with policy, government affairs, communications and regulatory teams across the Bayer Enterprise to keep them abreast of latest advancements
* Engage with diverse research groups across the Bayer enterprise to understand their models and products and develop solutions to meet their data needs
* Evaluate the limitations of existing data sources and provide recommendations to address unmet data needs
* Lead a team focused on both integrating existing models and developing new models; work collaboratively with partner teams to maximize the use of genetic, environmental, and grower management data assets
* Actively contribute to efforts to understand the prospective value of R&D projects in ways that can support portfolio review processes and financial forecasting; track and maintain portfolio of projects and capabilities against company pipeline/portfolio processes
* Serve as the primary point of contact and key science stakeholder to respective counterparts in other business units, including Product, Engineering, and Commercial/Marketing
* Contribute thought leadership, helping establish/execute on the team's research agenda
* Clearly and effectively communicate research vision, strategy, and outcomes to key stakeholders both internally and externally
* MS in a quantitative science discipline (e.g. environmental science, ecology, geography, toxicology) paired with experience in data science or computationally intensive research
* Demonstrated experience working with diverse environmental and spatial data, including a high level of expertise with soils, toxicology, water quality and habitat data.
* At least 7 years of post-degree work experience, including industry experience involving management of research programs
* At least 1 year of people management experience
* Demonstrated experience in sustainability, environmental stewardship, environmental modeling or related area
* PhD in Ecology, Environmental Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Geography or other physical science involving computationally intensive research
* Strong organizational skills
* Ability and inclination to work in multi-disciplinary environments, and desire to see ideas realized in practice
* Strong drive to learn new topics and skills and to develop innovative products for our customers
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
* Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
* A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks to get you through the day
* Encouragement to get out of the office and into the field with agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used
* We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-up groups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
* Inspire one another
* Innovate in all we do
* Leave a mark on the world
* Find the possible in the impossible
* Be direct and transparent
Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.