Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC), a nonprofit organization with more than 160,000 members and supporters, is the nation's largest trails organization dedicated to connecting people and communities by creating a nationwide network of public trails, many from former rail lines and connecting corridors. Founded in 1986, RTCs national office is located in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in California, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
This position is located in RTCs national office in Washington, D.C. (West End/DuPont Circle area), and is easily accessible from Metros Red line (Farragut North) and Blue/Orange/Silver lines (Foggy Bottom).We may consider split time with our Baltimore office location.
The Director of is a new position that will support the Vice President of Trail Development in managing RTCs Trail Development Team and implementing RTCs growing TrailNation project portfolio. TrailNation is RTCs innovative program to catalyze the rapid development of regional trail and active transportation networks, from concept to implementation, across eight cities and regions. We take a systematic approach, applying RTCs depth of expertise and collaborative strategies to reflect local realities and new opportunities.
This is an excellent opportunity for a strategic, creative and results-oriented professional with exceptional skill at managingand supervising internal teams, trail/active-transportation planning and project implementation to join a successful organization in a leadership position.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Codifying and standardizing RTCs evolving methods and approaches to its TrailNation projects
- Developing training modules that can be delivered in person and remotely
- Extracting TrailNation lessons learned into resources and materials that can be applied to and shared with other internal and external projects
- Developing and tracking metrics to evaluate project success
- Development Department to support the creation of successful fundraising proposals to support TrailNation projects
- Communications Department to increase project visibility and utilize communication channels to advance TrailNation project goals
- Policy Department to activate advocacy channels and increase public funding available for the buildout of TrailNation projects
- Operations Department to develop and manage complex TrailNation project budgets
- Collaborate withand supervisestaff in implementing and project-managing their respective TrailNation projects,e.g. reviewing and providing detailed feedback on work products;identifying and managing strategic partnerships and opportunities.
- Oversee and monitor staffs project workplans and budgets, which are often dynamic and changing
- Mentor staff in meeting their workplan goals and career development
- Conduct performance reviews and provide feedback for staff
The following qualifications are preferredbut not required:
Normal office setting with low-to-moderate noise level. Travel required, including some evenings and weekends.
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with RTCs business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.