Recreation Leader I
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position is open until filled. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
General Position Summary
Spend your summer making a difference in a child's life. The City of Burien is seeking energetic, creative, and dependable individuals to serve as Recreation Leaders for our successful daycamp program for children, ages 5 through 14. Under the direction of the Recreation Leader III and the Recreation Specialist, the Recreation Leader I will assist in the implementation of assigned programs. They will lead daily recreational activities and supervise program participants.
Training dates: June 6 17, 2016.Camp dates: Monday Friday; June 20 August 31, 2016; 6:30am 6pm.Hours: 12 - 40 hours per week depending upon participant enrollment for the week.
- Assist in the supervision of participants of assigned programs.
- Actively participate in activities while maintaining order and discipline.
- Serve as a positive role model for participants at all times.
- Assist with the implementation of scheduled activities.
- Recommend new program components based upon participant and parent input, research, and trends.
- Assist with facility safety check prior to each program occurrence.
- Provide for the safety of participants at all times.
- Work closely with all staff in an enthusiastic, cooperative and supportive manner. Communicate with other staff, volunteers and City personnel as needed.
- Secure and maintain materials and equipment for program needs. Ensure facility and grounds are kept clean and litter free. Clean program areas and store equipment and supplies at the end of each day.
- Attend scheduled staff training and meetings (which may occur during the weekday).
- Perform light maintenance duties including but not limited to sweeping floor, picking up litter, and cleaning van as needed.
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned.
This position involves frequent new and varied work situations with a moderate degree of complexity. Incumbent operates from established and well known procedures with a moderate level of supervision.
Incumbent supervises program participants.
Works with program participants and their families, the Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services department staff, school staff, affiliate community agencies, volunteers, the general public, and others as authorized.
Specific Job Skills
- Recreational interests, needs, and behavioral characteristics of target population.
- Program leadership for two or more of the following interest areas: Visual arts, music, theater, dance, sports, outdoor recreation, games, and/or other healthy activities.
- Respectful communication skills.
- Burien's ethnically diverse and culturally-specific communities, which may include immigrant and first generation refugee populations.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills.
- Genuinely enthuse and lead program participants in the arts, sports, outdoor recreation, games, and other interest areas.
- Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Recognize and correct safety hazards.
- Serve as a strong role model and mentor.
- Provide outreach to reach new program participants.
- Create a consistently supportive, enriching program environment.
- Show patience and be perceptive to the ever-changing needs of participant population.
- Be respectful, helpful and courteous.
- Be an excellent oral communicator.
- Be dependable and trustworthy.
- Work frequent weekend, evenings, and other irregular hours.
- Perform custodial and/or light maintenance duties.
- Interpret and apply rules, regulation, policies, and procedures.
Position requires continuous interpersonal skills, teamwork, customer service, train/supervising, use of discretion, mentoring, and the ability to read, write, understand, and speak English; frequent decision making, creativity, problem analysis, negotiation, and independent judgment and/or action; occasional presentations/teaching and rare performance of basic and advanced math.
Position requires continuous standing, walking, feeling, talking, and hearing; frequent reaching, bending, and repetitive motions of feet; occasional stooping, sitting, fingering, handling, and repetitive motions of hands and wrists; and rare crawling, kneeling, and climbing. Incumbent must be able to push, pull, lift, and carry 25 pounds.
Education and/or Experience
Previous experience leading recreation activities and/or working with children preferable.
- Must be 15 years of age or older.
- Successfu completion of pre-employment background check.
The Recreation Leader I works directly with the program participants at various locations, including but not limited to neighborhood schools and other off-site locations. A high degree of physical mobility is required to provide supervision of events at various locations. Ability to work a flexible schedule is required. Must be able to work irregular hours including some evenings and weekends. Potential exposure to at-risk program participants.
- The City of Burien believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. This job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- The City of Burien is an Equal Opportunity Employer and assures equal employment practices regardless of sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, honorably discharged veteran or military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, or any other basis prohibited by local, State or Federal law.
- Verification of identity and United States work authorization must be completed before employment commences as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
- Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of education and related experience. Highly qualified candidates may be invited to participate in interviews. Candidates may be asked to respond to supplemental questions in writing and to supply illustrative examples of work. A test may also be administered to assess relevant skills. Additional references may be requested of finalists.
- If you need special accommodation in the application or examination process, please contact Human Resources at (206) 248-5504.
- The City of Burien has a no smoking policy in all City facilities and all City vehicles.
Loading some great jobs for you...