Software Development Engineer, Prime Video Search & Discovery
Employment Type: Full-Time
The PV (Prime Video) Content Discovery Platform team is looking for high energy and experienced engineers to help us build the future of digital video streaming services. Our team is at the heart of the PV customer journey to find movies and TV shows to watch with ownership of the Home Page, Browse, and Search APIs. Practically every single PV session across all devices begins with a call to the home page API to fetch a personalized, ready to render view of the movies and TV shows most likely to be of interest to the customer. Underneath the covers, the best Movie and TV choices for the customer are identified amongst thousands of contenders, with massive parallelization to support complex algorithms and business rules to be applied with split second efficiency. Content Discovery Platform sits at the head of the stage, orchestrating the entire operation.
These APIs are Tier-1 systems that must be highly available, low latency despite enormous complexity and scale. The right candidate will have experience designing, building and operating Tier-1 software systems at comparable scale. The APIs are used by a variety of devices with different capabilities—from 2010 smart TVs to the latest Fire TV. The API design must support a lot of flexibility across clients while still standardizing common functionality. Experience with API design for broad use applications is a distinct plus. The central nature of this team means high visibility, and plenty of opportunities to grow and learn. As a member of the Content Discovery Platform team you will have the opportunity to collaborate with senior engineers from client and personalization teams, understanding and anticipating their needs from our platforms, and influencing complex, multifaceted, cross-system designs.
We're a high energy, fast growth business excited to have the opportunity to shape how video is consumed for years to come. In addition to a digital video streaming service, we also operate as an original content production house with hits like Transparent and Mozart In the Jungle already under our belt. The service is available in US, UK, Germany and Japan on dozens of tablets, phones, game consoles, smart TVs and, of course, on the humble browser at www.amazon.com/pv . If you are interested, please reach out, we'd love to talk to you.
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
· Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
· Experience implementing and consuming large scale web services
· Masters degree in Computer Science or equivalent
· Experience in development on cloud based infrastructure
· Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
· Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
· Passion for TV and Movies
· Excellent problem solving skills
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Loading some great jobs for you...